600g Plain flour
30g Baking powder
300g Granulated sugar
200g Dried milk
1. Line or grease your baking tins/dishes
2. Mix sugar and margarine to create a creamy texture
3. Sieve the flour, dried milk and baking powder
4. Add the egg and water to form a dropping consistency, do not overmix as batter will not rise.
5. Portion the mixture into greased tins/dishes using a measuring jug (1 litre per half baking tin).
6. Steam for approximately 1 hour.
Cooks Tip: Individual sponges can be made in greased 5oz drinking glasses filled to the line, place in BS tin, cover and steam.
Several variations can be made by adding different ingredients to plain mix including cocoa for chocolate sponge
Recipe created by:
Asparagus, egg and potato salad
Create your account to access more recipes
You’ll find lots more free recipes like these in your member portal.